Who We Are: The Urban Libraries Council (ULC) has spent 50 years enriching communities by strengthening and promoting the value of libraries as essential public assets. As a nonprofit membership organization of more than 160 libraries in North America, ULC provides a forum for library leaders to share best practices and innovative ideas that support 21st-century learning, a strong economy and an active democracy. ULC’s members are thought leaders dedicated to innovation and the continuous transformation of communities. ULC’s programs focus on today’s critical issues, including anti-racism, economic and workforce development, education, environmental sustainability, health and public safety.
The Opportunity: ULC seeks a dynamic, collaborative and creative Communications Manager who will work with North America’s most innovative public library systems to ensure the public library – the most trusted public institution – is able to make a continuous and lasting impact on the communities they serve. This position reports to the Director of Communications.
What You Will Do:
• Consistent with the mission and vision of ULC, develop and execute communications projects and initiatives related to the organization’s annual work plan.
• Manage the creation of marketing and communications materials through information gathering, developing key messages and writing and editing communications.
• Contribute to communications projects, which may include but are not limited to activity guides, toolkits, brochures, articles, posters, flyers, press releases, newsletters, video scripts, marketing materials and meeting presentations.
• Manage and ensure an up-to-date monthly communications calendar to identify opportunities and implement upcoming priorities.
• Design layouts for blog posts and articles to be published internally and externally.
• Understand and embed the ULC brand and voice in all content, partnering with other team members to maintain consistency in content across the organization.
• Lead social media and targeted engagement and outreach to leaders, members and partners.
• Create and support graphic design needs including customizing templates for emails, websites, collateral, presentations and social media graphics.
• Develop and post web content and ensure the upkeep of ULC websites, working with other members of the team to enhance website appearance and user experience.
• Support team with copyediting, communications advice and refining and aligning key messages. • Measure, track and analyze newsletter, news media, web and social media engagement.
What You Bring:
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, English, journalism, graphic design or a related field. Master’s degree preferred.
• A minimum of 4-6 years of experience in communications for a nonprofit, association, public library system or city/county government.
• Strong communication skills including graphic design, writing, and copy editing.
• Knowledge of AP style and media monitoring software.
• Experience in project management, social media management and building brand presence.
• Expertise with email marketing tools (i.e., Constant Contact).
• Adobe Creative Suite experience preferred. • Web-savvy and have a working knowledge of content management systems, HTML coding, digital graphics production, blog writing/formatting and social media.
Location and Compensation:
• This posting is for a full-time salaried position located in a hybrid environment at ULC’s Washington, D.C. office.
• Salary Range: $65,000-$80,000/year.
• ULC offers employees a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, disability and life insurance and an employer funded retirement plan. ULC Team Statement on Race and Social Equity: We are committed to racial and social equity by contributing to a more just society in which everyone can realize their full potential. This includes holding ourselves accountable for an open environment that encourages honest dialogue and a commitment to anti-racism.
Application: Cover letter and resume should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of Angela Goodrich, Finance and Administration Executive.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com