Punitive drug laws in our country have disproportionately targeted communities of color dating as far back as the 1870s. We are looking for campaign staff to join our fight to promote alternatives to the war on drugs and put an end to centuries of discrimination. To this end, we are hiring Field Directors in Oklahoma who will work on a key drug decriminalization campaign that will promote equitable drug regulation, expand access to health services, and fundamentally transform the direction of drug policy in the US today.
The Field Director is expected to train petitioners in the field while collecting signatures themselves daily; they must also communicate long term and short term goals to petitioners. The Field Director must report daily on total signatures collected, validity rates, and other qualitative measures to the Project Director. The Field Director will also be responsible for payroll functions.
Please note we accept applications on a rolling basis and conclude our hiring process as soon as the role has been filled.
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Canvass Management Responsibilities:
– Managing a team of canvassers, setting goals and holding staff accountable
– Train and provide ongoing motivation and support to staff
– Identify, promote, and train a leadership team
– Build a diverse team where staff feel respected, while fostering a culture of equity and justice
– Implement quality control measures to ensure integrity of the work
– Go in the field yourself at least three days per week to canvass, train staff, and help drive office goals by collecting petition signatures
– Maintain a healthy and safe working environment for all staff
– Develop strategic plans to reach target voters/constituencies in assigned locations
– Manage administrative duties, including reporting data, record keeping, processing payroll, and distributing materials
– Strong management skills, including the ability to motivate and inspire a team while also holding staff accountable to goals and expectations
– Can speak compellingly about campaign issues and strategy
– Willing and able to listen to staff and solve problems
– Committed to equity and inclusion
– Strong work ethic; able to persevere in the face of challenges and setbacks
– Flexible; ready for the unexpected and willing to adapt to last minute changes
– Eager to learn and open to feedback
– Basic tech competency (G-suite or microsoft office, smart phone or computer)
– Electoral, community, or issue-based campaign experience
– Experience running paid canvasses or managing paid employees
– Passion for social change and activism
– Team building ability
– Attention to detail
– A track record of success meeting or exceeding goals
– Experience working in underserved or marginalized communities
– Facilitation experience
– Local knowledge/experience
Salary: The salary range for this position is $1125 – $1304 per week depending on responsibility and experience. Performance bonuses may be awarded at the midpoint and end of the campaign. We offer a generous benefits package, including paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance, a monthly phone stipend, and hands-on, paid training. At the end of the campaign, there may be opportunities for advancement.
Equity: If you are interested in this position but don’t think you qualify for everything, please don’t let that stop you from applying! At The Outreach Team, we prioritize equity and inclusion and believe our work is better when it benefits from the knowledge, experience, and wisdom of people who have faced systemic barriers.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we strongly encourage Black, indigenous, people of color, women, people with previous felony convictions, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who identify with underrepresented groups to apply.
Safety: We work hard to keep our team safe! We have strict health and safety protocols and will provide all of the training and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) you will need.
Who We Are
The Outreach Team is the national engine of campaigners and organizers powering the progressive movement. With an on-the-ground presence in communities all across the country, our world-class team runs successful civic engagement campaigns on behalf of progressive organizations and campaigns—to build a future that’s fairer, greener, safer and more peaceful for everyone.
Our client list includes organizations like Democratic National Committee, Black Progressive Action Coalition, Everytown for Gun Safety Action Fund, Climate Action Campaign, Planned Parenthood, Democratic Senate Campaign Committee, For our Future, Solar Rights Alliance, The United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, and more.
To apply for this job please visit theoutreachteam.applytojob.com.