Website The Afara Collective
Create change by being the change
The Afara Collective is an early-stage 501(c)3 organization (pre-funding) committed to a multicultural approach to anti-racism education. We seek to create transformational and experiential learning opportunities (virtual learning, online courses, webinars, speaker series, workshops, youtube, etc.) that facilitate individual efforts to unpack and unlearn bias. We empower people through resources, tools, and community and operate with the goal of dramatically increasing cross-cultural understanding as a means to a meaningful and permanent change in the fight to dismantle systemic racism and oppression.
We hold a bold vision for what will eventually be an organization with global reach, committed to being a standard-bearer for racial bias and sensitivity training. Learn more by visiting weareafara.org.
At this time, the organization is run by unpaid volunteer staff. The individual in this position would also be unpaid and volunteer. As a leader, we ask that you be in a position to allocate 10 hours per week.
About the Role
The Afara Collective is seeking a Director, Consulting to lead the design and delivery of initiatives, client engagements, and other consulting projects and scope of work, including the development of new and innovative curriculum and programs. The Consulting Department is a close-working team of individuals who value growth and feedback. The Director will be part of a team where members support and mentor their colleagues in program delivery, financial analysis, and initiative management.
This role will be deliberate in identifying strategic partnerships and business development opportunities and support complex initiatives that require thoughtful customization. Working both independently and collaboratively, the Director of Consulting will implement initiatives, processes, and procedures to lay the foundation for a successful launch of Afara virtual and in-person consulting engagements. This is exciting work that will help the organization create a sustainable income stream and broaden its impact.
The Director will work with an Assistant Director to manage the scope of responsibilities and will lead a team of 4-6 people.
They will thoughtfully work with and lead others through complex and ambiguous situations, guided by Afara values, to meet the needs of clients, partners, and teammates. Partner with internal departments to inform business development, training, hiring, learning, and other consulting practice needs to support program delivery, financial analysis, and initiative management.
They will take the lead in conducting contract negotiations with new clients and delivering virtual and in-person presentations. The Director, Consulting will report to the Senior Director of Strategy and Business Development.
What You’ll Do
Design and delivery of new and innovative client work
- Collaborate to define the consulting strategy for the organization and execute the steps necessary to launch the consulting arm of the organization.
- Lead project teams and advance delivery and implementation of Afara programs and services in alignment with Afara values; develop work plans and deliverables that reflect the highest quality of analysis given the project scope, budget and timeline.
- Serve as an internal expert and leader for future projects of speciality; develop specialized knowledge in strategically aligned areas; determine future opportunities to develop work and prepare the consulting team.
- Develop strong rapport with new and existing clients to identify and frame key financial, strategic and organizational issues; lead conversations with clients in a way that demonstrates empathy and garners understanding of their experiences and needs.
Develop reports, white-papers (with assistance from our Research Team), and/or articles on Afara learnings and work within the nonprofit/community sector
Coordinate strategic planning and track tactical execution activities in strategic relationships; identify opportunities/gaps in execution to maximize effective delivery of asset goals
Deliver solid business plans that incorporate clear goals, objectives and tangible activities that lead to success.
Collaborate with business development and senior management to secure new engagements by making presentations to clients, developing and reviewing bid proposal texts and budgets and conducting contract negotiations.
Develop in-depth financial analyses, organizational assessments and sector research
- Conduct in-depth financial analyses, organizational assessments and sector research to provide a basis on which to build options, scenarios and recommendations.
- Build custom financial models that provide the data to test options and scenarios; synthesize data and integrate findings into clear, accessible materials; write and present reports that outline key findings, options, opportunities, risks, scenarios, and recommendations.
- Oversees project budgeting/forecasting to include creative input as to shifting of resources, allocations etc. to respond to a change in scope of personnel requirements to stay within the project budget.
Lead and develop a team of consultants
- Manage and coach a team of at least two team members who are responsible for leading client relationships
- Manage and coach a team of at least two team members who are responsible for developing programs and curricula aligned to Afara values and philosophy
- Implement the continuing professional development for the team, focusing on growing skills and providing learning opportunities that support client work
Who you are
- Someone with INTEGRITY and EXCELLENT COMMUNICATION SKILLS
- You are a creative thinker who enjoys mapping our project processes to solve client problems as well as developing relationships.
- You have a minimum of 7 years of professional work experience in philanthropy, government, consulting, business development and/or financial services
- You have knowledge in nonprofit accounting, finance, and excel-based financial model building
- You have a minimum of 4 years of successfully managing staff members and fostering professional development and growth
- You have a strong relationship-building approach with the ability to center the needs of clients and communities
- You are a strategic thinker; you combine strategy and innovation to successfully design and implement processes, systems and policies that support the organization’s overall vision and growth
- You possess strong project management skills with demonstrated success managing multiple projects
- You have strong analytical skills and can present complex analytics in an accessible manner
- You maintain a high level of integrity and can handle sensitive information in a confidential manner
- You have exceptional and proactive communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- You have experience designing and facilitating adult learning sessions, such as webinars and presentations
- You are flexible, adaptable, and willing to pivot on short notice to meet the organization’s needs
- You are committed to continuous improvement and demonstrate a growth mindset
- You are drawn to and embody Afara’s mission, core values and commitment to diversity and equity
To join this team you must be…..
COMMITTED to making a difference
CREATIVE, COLLABORATIVE and STRATEGIC in your thinking
PERSISTENT in your execution
MINDFUL of the details
RESOURCEFUL and RESILIENT when encountering obstacles
The Afara Collective does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status in any of its activities or operations. These activities include but are not limited to hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org