Website The Afara Collective
Create change by being the change
Assistant Director, Operations
(Volunteer role, fully remote – 10 hrs per wk)
The Afara Collective is an early-stage 501(c)3 organization committed to a multicultural approach to anti-racism education. We seek to create transformational and experiential learning opportunities (virtual learning, online courses, webinars, speaker series, workshops, youtube, etc.) that facilitate individual efforts to unpack and unlearn bias. We empower people through resources, tools, and community and operate with the goal of dramatically increasing cross-cultural understanding as a means to a meaningful and permanent change in the fight to dismantle systemic racism and oppression.
We hold a bold vision for what will eventually be an organization with global reach, committed to being a standard-bearer for racial bias and sensitivity training.
To join this team you must be…..
COMMITTED to making a difference
CREATIVE, COLLABORATIVE and STRATEGIC in your thinking
PERSISTENT in your execution
MINDFUL of the details
RESOURCEFUL and RESILIENT when encountering obstacles
Afara is seeking a part-time, VOLUNTEER Assistant Director of Operations who will work with the Director of Operations, the Executive Director, and the leadership team and oversee a range of internal organizational operations. At this time, the organization is run by volunteer staff. We have a goal of becoming fully funded. The Director will ensure all operations are executed in an appropriate, cost-effective manner. This person will drive continuous improvement of systems, processes and best practices in pursuit of our mission, grants, and funding requirements. This person will update and further develop our strategic plan and will report directly to the Executive Director and have Board interaction. Able to devote ~10+ hours weekly.
Responsibilities – as an active member of the Afara Senior Leadership Team:
- Long-term planning and strategy to help define and execute initiatives that further Afara’s goals and mission
- Monitor project goals and objectives while maintaining quality
- Provide day to day operation oversight
- Manage teams: operations, programs, marketing, research, and consulting to achieve goals
- Manage and oversee department budgets to maximize donations and funding by ensuring operations are done in a cost-effective manner
- Oversee recruitment and training of new team members
- Inspire and motivate the team to perform at their best through positive encouragement
Ideal volunteer will have:
- 4+ years of project or operations management experience
- Experience managing others, ideally volunteers
- Experience developing strategic plans and budgets
- Available ~10 or more hours per week
- Strong communicator including writing, presentation and interpersonal skills.
4+ years managing a team
- Dedication to the mission of The Afara Collective and ability to use a racial justice/anti-bias/multicultural framework to write, plan and execute campaigns
- Strong integrity and ethics.
The Afara Collective does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com