Website Tennessee Department of Education
We will set all students on a path to success.
Location: Tennessee Department of Education
Reports to: Chief of Staff
The Assistant Commissioner of Communications will serve in a critical role within the Commissioner’s office, responsible for ensuring clear and consistent communication with all internal and external stakeholders while advancing the mission, vision, and strategic goals of the department. The Assistant Commissioner will manage the Communications and Engagement team overseeing the areas of media, engagement, digital media, graphics, and content management. Reporting to the Chief of Staff, the Assistant Commissioner of Communications will lead the execution of comprehensive communications strategies for institutional and programmatic priorities.
The Assistant Commissioner of Communications will work close with the Commissioner’s Chief of Staff and the office of Communications and Engagement to deliver supports to the following key stakeholder groups among others:
- Department Cabinet: Includes all chiefs across the department
- Department Executive Leadership Team: Includes all assistant commissioners
- Office of the Governor
- General Assembly
- Local Education Agency (LEAs) Leadership
- External Organizations: Includes partners, vendors, philanthropies/foundations, etc.
- 10+ years of communications, public relations, and/or external affairs experience
- At least 2-3 years of experience managing a small-to-medium sized functional team
- Experience developing messaging centered on political, education, and/or advocacy issues
- Expertise in internal and external communications, strategy development, marketing, and technology
- Excellent verbal and oral communicator and collaborator
- Ability to quickly turn around press statements
- Proven organizational skills, with a strong ability to set priorities, manage multiple tasks, and think creatively
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; Strong ability to interact with the public and high-level individuals and work collaboratively with diverse constituencies
- Demonstrated social and emotional intelligence
Strategic Initiatives & Functions:
- Develop communications strategy aligned with org-wide strategic plans
- Lead the codification and continuous improvement of communication processes to maximize efficiency, timeliness, and effectiveness
- Oversee and approve revisions to TDOE’s online presence including improving the user experience for website and Best for All Central site visitors
- Create and sustain a team culture grounded in service, collaboration, and subject matter expertise through strong team management and professional development
- Ensuring the consistent consideration of the needs of internal and external stakeholders, providing high-quality service and frequently evaluating satisfaction
- Advise key communicators on internal communication materials and strategies
- Identify best practices and emerging strategies within internal communications
- Measure and monitor performance of communications initiatives to determine potential needs for course correction
This search is being managed by TalentED Advisors, a New York based talent strategy and management firm which partners exclusively with non-profit organizations. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter detailing their interest in our mission and qualifications for the position by using this link.
To apply for this job please visit talentedadvisors.applytojob.com.