Spread the Word Nevada is a children’s literacy nonprofit, 5
Spread the Word Nevada Overview
Spread the Word Nevada was formed in February 2001 by Co-Founders, Laurie Hartig and Lisa Habighorst.
Spread the Word Nevada is dedicated to advancing early childhood literacy by placing books into the homes of children within Nevada’s at-risk, low-income communities. Through community collaboration, mentorship and family partnership programs, Spread the Word Nevada fosters reading and language development opportunities ultimately leading to brighter academic and economic futures for these children. We are dedicated to changing the lives of at-risk children, one book at a time.
Spread the Word Nevada has various programs that they support, coordinate, and facilitate to advance childhood literacy. Programs include the Kids-to-Kids program, the Breakfast/Snack Time with Books program, the Books & Buddies program, the Books on Break program. Currently, the Organization’s programs are being implemented, supported, and utilized throughout a continuously growing number of elementary schools throughout the Greater Las Vegas Valley and Washoe County, Nevada.
We are Deeply Committed to Equity & Diversity
Spread the Word Nevada strives to recruit a diverse team of leaders. We believe there is a transformative academic and social benefit for children when their Program Directors, Managers, Facilitators, Coordinators and Volunteers reflect a diversity of backgrounds. Our employees agree that the organization provides a welcoming environment given their background and identity.
The Outreach & Events Coordinator is responsible for the coordination and implementation of multiple special events throughout the year and special projects, as necessary. This position works with staff and volunteers to organize logistics for events. The ideal candidate will be a highly organized, effective project coordinator who will oversee event logistics, execution, and follow up. This position is based in Henderson/Las Vegas.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Works with staff, volunteers, and event committees to plan, coordinate, and implement special events activities in accordance with policies and budget
- Coordinates all event logistics including set up and tear down, volunteer management, maintaining contacts with the host site, vendors, and deliveries
- Directs activities of and serves as secondary staff liaison to staff & volunteers for events.
- Provide administrative support when needed
- Creates a seamless, balanced, and enjoyable experience for event attendees through effective leadership of assigned events
- Works with the finance department to reconcile donation records with finance reports
- Provides event reports as requested or required
- Performs other duties as required
- This position will coordinate the following events under the guidance of their manager from conceptualization to strike:
- All third-party fundraising events
- All “Page-it-Forward” events (in conjunction with Volunteer Manager)
- All offsite tabling events & requests for representation – requires public speaking
- Annual “Volunteer Appreciation” event (in conjunction with the Volunteer Manager)
- This position will assist with the coordination of the following events under the guidance of their manager from conceptualization to strike:
- Annual Storybook Gala
- Annual Speaker Series
Donor Outreach, Stewarding and Retention
- Sends stewardship notes/gifts to above event-related contacts
- Be an integral part of Gala planning team
- Attend auction meetings and venue site visits
- Assist in outreach to all previous and new auction donors
- Assist in cataloging, numbering, and filing all auction items as they are received
- Assist in picking up auction items at vendor sites
- Assist in delivery of auction items after gala
- Assist in getting photos/videos for social media content
Education and/or Experience Requirements
- Minimum of 1 year experience in event planning, or equivalent position
- High School Degree (Bachelors (+) degree preferred)
- Proven ability to interact effectively with community and develop relationships with local businesses and organizations
- Experience with a donor database structure program, DonorView/Blackbaud preferred
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Must possess proficient ability to communicate in English in oral and written format
- Use of reliable personal vehicle, valid auto insurance and valid driver’s license
- May be required to work evenings and weekends on occasion
Certificated, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid Nevada State Drivers’ License
- Current Nevada State Driving Record (w/in 30-days)
Below are some of the qualities an Outreach & Events Coordinator will exhibit:
- Engaging and positive rapport
- Excellent follow-through
- Creative and innovative
- Analytical and detailed oriented
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities and deadlines
- Team player
- Outgoing, energetic, positive, and fun
- Self-driven and able to work autonomously
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand frequently; walk frequently; sit; use hands and fingers to point, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 25 pounds. The vision requirements include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to excessive heat, wet and/or humid outside conditions. Due to working in the office, warehouse and/or school setting, the noise level in the environment is moderate to high, at times.
- Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance
- Paid holidays
- Paid Time Off (PTO),
- 401K plan available after six full months of employment
- Hybrid work week option after probationary onboard period
- Send your cover letter, resumé, and any relevant work samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A background check will be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
The company is an Equal Opportunity Employer, drug free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.
To apply for this job email your details to Hr@spreadthewordnevada.org