Schoolyard Roots Seeks Executive Director
Schoolyard Roots is a non-profit located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama that builds community through food. Our goal is to cultivate curiosity and connection through hands-on learning gardens. Schoolyard Roots engages communities with food and nature to inspire, delight, and bring classroom concepts to life. By increasing access to fresh, locally-grown produce, we empower our community to make healthy and sustainable food choices.
Schoolyard Roots currently partners with eleven public elementary schools in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. As we enter our tenth year of programming, we are grateful for the strong support of our local school systems, a dynamic education team, and the greater Tuscaloosa community.
Areas of Responsibility
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) has overall responsibility for implementing the goals of Schoolyard Roots. The ED works closely with the staff and the Board of Directors, as well as partner agencies, supporters, and the community at large.
The ED is responsible for financial management, fundraising, drafting and implementing the annual budget, staff development, donor stewardship, and overseeing the administrative activities of the organization. The ED supervises the staff and is the liaison between the Board of Directors and the staff. The ED works with the staff to create and follow through on all programming. The ED works with board and staff on developing and implementing strategies that will ensure long-term sustainability of the organization.
The ED promotes a culture of support, high-performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality, mission, and collaboration. The ED leads and maintains a healthy, inclusive, diverse and positive internal work culture.
Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate will have:
- A passion and vision for garden-based education.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
- 5 years of leadership and management experience in public, private or non-profit settings.
- Experience in strategically planning for and evaluating the growth of an outcomes-based organization.
- Proven leadership and organizational management experience, including having coached staff, managed and developed high-performance teams, set and achieved strategic objectives, and a dynamic, flexible and creative approach to management.
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, partners, and the overall community.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience, including campaigns, major donors, grants, and fundraisers, with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders.
- High level strategic thinking and planning. Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future to the board, staff, partners, and community.
- Strong budget and financial management skills.
- Experience writing and managing grants.
- A proven history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, including public speaking ability.
- Exceptional interpersonal and active listening skills.
- Track record of overcoming obstacles in challenging environments.
- Willingness to travel occasionally.
- English language fluency.
- Ability to visually access computer screens and other media, give and receive oral instructions, and lift 25 pounds.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary: $52,000+ (commensurate with experience) plus benefits, including 100 % of employee health care premiums, generous paid time off, and 3% match on SIMPLE IRA after one full year.
How to Apply
Please send resume and letter of interest as a single PDF file to the SYR Board of Directors at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as they are received until the right candidate is found. Preferred start date is June 1, 2020.
Schoolyard Roots is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com