Website San Francisco Historical Society
We bring San Francisco history alive for residents and visitors
We are looking for a new Executive Director starting January 2024. This person will be a
creative thinker, leader, and partnership builder. They will have a passion and ability to grow and
scale the organization by leveraging their problem solving skills and entrepreneurial thinking and
approach. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for the San
Francisco Historical Society’s consistent and effective achievement of its mission and financial
objectives, and for the leadership and management of the organization according to the policies
established by the Board of Directors. Responsibilities include Human Resources, Operations,
Strategic Planning, Fundraising, and Marketing and Outreach.
● Partner with the Board of Directors to execute a plan to grow and scale the society in
membership and funding in the next 3-5 years.
● Generate additional revenue
● Enhance visitors’ experience
● Deepen academic and community partnerships
● Working knowledge of San Francisco history and appreciation of all communities in San
● Ability to provide strong leadership, vision and strategic direction.
● At least five (5) years of full-time experience working in an executive-level management
● Fantastic ambassador with diverse communities
○ Polished and articulate speaker
○ Excellent people-person
○ Outstanding in both oral and written communication and proficiency in public
speaking and presentations
● Demonstrated ability to fundraise and expand private and public grant funding
● Understanding of how to expand a donor base and retain of current donors
● Demonstrated knowledge of standards and best practices for the operation and financial
management of museums, cultural/educational non-profits, or similar organizations.
● A history of involvement and creating partnerships in relevant professional
organizations, and/or local education institutions and educators
● Proven ability to work cooperatively, diplomatically, and effectively with Boards and
volunteers as well as in community relations and outreach capacities
● Committed to uphold the organization’s values of Respect, Integrity, Collaboration, and
● Bachelor’s degree
Additional desired qualifications:
● Familiarity with Bloomerang or similar CRM and QuickBooks software
● Previous experience with museums and/or historical societies
● A degree in history, museum studies, anthropology, or another related field
Annual Salary: $110K – $130K based on experience. This is a full-time salaried position with
paid time off. This position has no health or retirement plan benefits.
Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing education and experience to Board President –
Tom Owens at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The San Francisco Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com