Website Rising Sun Center for Opportunity
To apply Email your resume, cover letter, and a list of 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Workforce Initiatives and Alumni Associate, Climate Careers Central Valley Region” in the subject line.
Rising Sun Center for Opportunity helps build career pathways for economic equity and climate resilience. Rising Sun seeks a Workforce Initiatives & Alumni Associate, Central Valley Region to support the success of the Climate Careers program in the Central Valley Region. The Workforce Initiatives & Alumni Associate is a full-time position and reports directly to the Senior Program Manager to ensure youth program participants and alumni receive support and resources in their journey towards sustainable employment and that new and existing workforce partners, specifically within the green economy, provide opportunities and pathways to employment for Climate Careers participants and alumni. The Workforce Initiatives & Alumni Associate works closely and collaboratively with the Climate Careers team to accomplish the goals of the Climate Careers program.
Climate Careers uses an employment social enterprise model to combine home energy and water-saving services with youth development. Our free Green House Call service consists of energy and water use assessments, installation of efficiency devices, and client education. Youth program participants deliver this service to thousands of homes every year, both virtually and in-person while growing personally and professionally, advancing on to paid externships with organizations doing climate-related work to increase their career exposure and experience.
For more information about Rising Sun, please visit www.risingsunopp.org
A successful Workforce Initiatives & Alumni Associate will…
● Support the elevation of Climate Careers within the green economy as a pipeline to employment
● Support the designing of the program strategy in all parts of a Climate Careers participant journey including summer participation, externship, and alumni.
● Value teamwork, seeking opportunities to learn from others; exploring new ideas and opinions, and pushing the boundaries to make decisions, draft plans, and promote cooperation
● Have a passion for working with young people, community members, and residents. Relate to people in an open, friendly, and professional manner.
● Demonstrate self-awareness, in terms of understanding their own culture, identity, biases, prejudices, power, privilege, and stereotypes.
● Demonstrate willingness to challenge and change institutional practices that present barriers to different groups
● Inquire when unclear, ask questions for clarity, and check for understanding. You will know how to communicate about your workload and priorities and manage to get the support you need to accomplish your tasks.
● Thrive in a fast-paced environment with competing demands and priorities. You will identify strategies to stay organized and self-motivated with good attention to detail. Thinks at least one step ahead in order to complete tasks and projects on time.
● Listen effectively; can translate people’s problems into solutions. Ask appropriate questions to clarify the meaning of written and verbal communication.
The Workforce Initiatives & Alumni Associate is responsible for…
TCC Workforce Development and Economic Opportunity Plan (TCC WDEOP):
● With the support of the Senior Program Manager, coordinate WDEOP monthly meetings, create meeting agendas, and report on the group’s progress. As well as identify community partners to host as speakers in monthly WDEOP meetings.
● With the leadership of the Senior Program Manager, serve as the liaison between WDEOP partners, community partners, resident representatives, and other stakeholders. Attend community events and coalition meetings to share information on WDEOP programs and build partnerships in the community.
● Work in conjunction with the Senior Program Manager, to oversee the completion and report of Rising Sun’s WDEOP deliverables. As well as collectively monitor and hold the WDEOP partners accountable, overseeing their project goals and programmatic outcomes.
● Additional tasks as assigned
Program & Externship Implementation:
● Assist the Climate Careers Central Valley Region team with temporary staff recruitment by participating in recruitment events as well as interview panels to build rapport with incoming participants and temporary staff.
● Establish relationships with program participants during the spring, summer, and fall through consistent site office engagement and event participation. Specifically, work closely with the temporary Youth Development Specialist team to ensure continuous progress on externship program implementation.
● Collaborate with the Senior Program Manager in the successful implementation of the Central Valley Region Climate Careers externship program including host recruitment, management of partner and industry relationships, securement of hosts and meaningful placements for youth, facilitation of host and youth orientations, and achievement of all extern objectives and deliverables.
● Other tasks as assigned.
Alumni Relations and Job Placement:
● Assist the Senior Program Manager with the development and management of the alumni program (including digital resources, and mentorship program) grounded by alumni feedback.
● Assist the Senior Program Manager and Workforce Initiatives and Alumni Manager, Bay Area with the organizing and hosting of alumni events in alignment with alumni needs and interests.
● Support the Senior Program Manager in increasing engagement and creating a comprehensive employer database across sectors aligned with the competencies, skills, and interests of participants and alumni
● Additional responsibilities as assigned
To be considered for this position, you must have:
● A car, a valid driver’s license, and insurance
● The ability to work some flexible hours – occasional evenings and weekends
● The ability to work in-person and on-site across the Central Valley region when required, especially during the summer. Have the ability to travel throughout the Central Valley Region.
● A passion for, or belief in, the mission of a nonprofit focused on equity, climate, and good jobs
● Proof of receiving a primary series of an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccination by start date, per Rising Sun’s Employee Mandatory Vaccination policyIt’s a big PLUS if you have:
● Experience with leading teams and programs centered around youth workforce development and energy efficiency
● Experience with direct supervision of staff (temporary or full-time)
● Experience working and building relationships with Bay Area communities and stakeholders
● Experience with program design, learning and evaluation
● The ability to speak multiple or an additional language other than English.
● Have experience using Google Suite, Microsoft Office, and Salesforce.
● Have lived, proximate, and/or professional experience with the issues, people, and communities Rising Sun works with.
About Rising Sun…
Rising Sun is a premier nonprofit organization operating in the San Francisco Bay Area and San Joaquin County. Our mission is to build career pathways for economic equity and climate resilience. With offices in Oakland and Stockton, Rising Sun’s workforce development programs, Climate Careers and Opportunity Build, specialize in preparing youth, women, and individuals in reentry for high-road careers and green pathways that offer family-sustaining wages. Since our founding in 1994, Rising Sun has trained and employed more than 3,000 youth and adults while helping over 53,000 households reduce their carbon footprint. Our vision is a just and sustainable future for all people and our planet.
About our culture…
We are mission-driven and work hard because we care about what we do. We are deeply committed to equity and inclusion and want to do the self-work necessary to be successful in these areas. We like working with each other and we like to make work fun. We like to try new things and encourage each other to find unique and unconventional ways to tackle tough problems. We celebrate every birthday, eat a lot of dessert together, and recycle the same birthday candles until they’re gone. There’s usually at least one dog hanging around the office, and sometimes a staff member’s kid or two as well. We want people to grow. We like to promote from within and build each other up, but we also like to bring in new ideas and different perspectives. We’re looking forward to meeting you and hearing about how you can contribute to making Rising Sun a great place to work.
You might also be wondering about pay and benefits…
This is a permanent, full-time, exempt, salaried, and benefited position with an annual salary range of $69,180-$72,639 commensurate with experience. Rising Sun offers a competitive benefits package that includes:
● 100% coverage of Medical, Vision, Dental insurance for employees, 50% coverage for dependents.
● 403b contribution option and 3% match after first year.
● $100,000 Life Insurance Policy.
● 17 PTO days/year (increases each year until year 10).
● 17 Holidays/year (includes 2 floating holidays and a week of closure during winter).
● 4 Restorative days/year.
● Birthday off.
● Hybrid Remote work options – dependent on position.
● Monthly internet and phone reimbursement, totaling $100.
● 12-week, 40% parental leave.
● 2 months of paid sabbatical after year 7.
● Annual professional development budget.
● Financial advising through Stonebridge Financial Group.
Ready to Apply?
Please email your resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com, and include “Workforce Initiatives and Alumni Associate, Climate Careers Central Valley Region” in the subject line.
Rising Sun is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Rising Sun is committed to diversity and considers all applicants for all positions without regard to color, ethnic background, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, and disability status. EOE/AA; women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org