Website Resources for the Future
Nonprofit, Think Tank, Development, Gift Processing, Data Entry
Resources for the Future (RFF) is an independent, nonprofit research institution in Washington, DC. Our mission is to improve environmental, energy, and natural resource decisions through impartial economic research and policy engagement.
The Manager of Development Operations and Data provides oversight and management over all financial reporting, database management, and administrative functions of the Development Office, in service of advancing the use of accurate, comprehensive data to enhance RFF’s fundraising and donor engagement strategies. The Manager is responsible for developing and implementing policies, procedures, and best practices that support efficient and accurate gift processing, data management, reporting, and analysis. The Manager oversees one staff member and is responsible for all aspects of RFF’s donor database.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Works closely with the VP for Development and Institutional Strategy and the VP for Finance and Administration to support a process to set and manage fundraising projections for individual, corporate, and foundation fundraising programs.
- Oversees the creation of daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports to support fundraising staff, finance department, executive leadership, and the board of directors. This includes reports demonstrating progress toward goals as well as forecasting philanthropic support in future years and reconciling with the finance department.
- Oversees gift processing and acknowledgement, financial tracking and projections, and compliance issues.
Leads the development and implementation of RFF’s donor information systems and improvements, as well as identifying and championing various tech solutions that support fundraising goals.
- Manages gift accounting for accurate and timely entry of all charitable gifts and pledges into the Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge NXT (RE) database. This includes checks, securities, gifts-in-kind, matching gift contributions, credit card imports and processing, payroll deductions, grants, online giving, Donor-Advised Funds and wired gifts (stocks and cash).
- Oversees the accurate processing of constituent information into RE. This includes all information received by the donor, prospect manager, third-party data cleaning services, research services, and screening services.
- Maintains the overall database integrity and quality, including routine data improvement, data auditing, practice enforcement, security and code value management, systems checks, and database functions, and identifies opportunities for systems integration for improved data quality, reduced data entry, and increased cross-departmental collaboration. Works with other departments to maintain data harmony across multiple systems.
- Provides database management and other technical training, as well as works with the VP to coordinate development orientation programming, for relevant staff.
- Develops, creates, and maintains policies and procedures for data entry, audit, and analysis to ensure optimal database organization and data hygiene, as well as policies and procedures for efficient and effective fundraising operations (such as Standard Operating Procedures).
- Ensures gift records and tax receipts are compliant with FASB and IRS policies. This includes procedures to accurately enter, audit and report gifts, gift flow, and pledge expectancies. Ensures proper controls are in place for a seamless and flawless auditing process.
- Reviews grants and contracts for compliance with RFF policies, managing the contract review process for Development team.
- Work with other divisions of the institution to maintain data harmony across multiple systems.
Special Education/Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree with four to seven years of fundraising data management and reporting in nonprofit organizations, preferably with experience in Raiser’s Edge.
- Experience supervising staff and managing projects.
- Experience designing and generating clear financial reports that meet the needs of various user groups, including financial reconciliations and pipeline reporting.
- Sophisticated computer/database management skills, with experience integrating different systems and designing workflows, queries, and reports.
- Knowledge of FASB and IRS policies for gift records and management.
Special Knowledge/Skills Requirements
- Must be results-oriented, friendly, flexible, communicative, and have a sense of humor.
- Deep knowledge of all legal accounting and auditing of fundraising requirements of donor data and related analytics.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including strong Excel and Word knowledge.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a face paced environment, managing multiple, complex projects simultaneously, with a strong attention to detail.
- Comfortable with ambiguity, ability to change course quickly based on new insights.
- Commitment to teamwork, with strong collaboration and communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Interest in RFF’s mission and a commitment to RFF’s core values is a plus.
Work Conditions: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet. The work environment is indoors. The position does not require travel.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and current resume via www.rff.org/about/careers. We will only contact references for candidates who are finalists.
Due to the anticipated volume of interest, we are unable to respond to telephone or email inquiries regarding this position. RFF is an equal opportunity employer. People are RFF’s greatest asset, and we prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind. We value the unique contributions of each member of our community and foster an environment that empowers everyone at RFF to thrive. Applicants of all kinds, who represent diversity that includes but is not limited to age, race, ethnicity, national origin, color, socioeconomic status, gender, physical ability, cognitive diversity, religion, sexual orientation, political affiliation, and personal background, are encouraged to apply. We are unable to sponsor a work-related visa for this position.
Important Notices: This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that a team member in this position may be asked to perform. Duties and responsibilities can be changed, expanded, reduced or delegated by management to meet the business needs of the property.
To apply for this job please visit www.paycomonline.net.