Position Title: Research Assistant
Reports to: Observing Programs Lead, Dr. Wael Farah
FLSA Status: Full time, Non-exempt
The SETI Institute is seeking a Full Time Research Assistant to become a member of the Allen
Telescope Array (ATA) team at the Hat Creek Radio Observatory. The incumbent will be tasked
with managing observing lists, collecting astronomical data, and developing control and
monitoring software. This will support the science operation of the telescope aimed at
performing cutting edge radio astronomy research.
Most of the work will be performed at the Hat Creek Radio Observatory in Hat Creek, California.
On-site accommodation at the observatory is available.
- Operate the ATA to support various science and calibration data acquisition.
- Maintain the ATA science operation log and report faults and issues to the science and engineering personnel appropriately.
- Design, implement, and maintain software for data processing, instrument monitoring and control.
- Maintain data archives and ensure the execution of various data analysis pipelines.
- Provide documentation and write reports.
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree or senior standing in a bachelor’s degree program in Physics, Computer Science, Engineering or a related field
- Experience with software development in one or more of Python, C/C++ or Java
- Experience with UNIX/Linux-based systems, shell scripting languages, and the command line interface
- Experience with version control platforms such as Git/Mercurial is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of radio astronomy tools, workflows and techniques is highly desirable.
- Experience with GNURadio and/or other software defined radio tools is highly desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English is required
- Commitment to open, transparent, and reproducible science
- Must be a team player and work in close collaboration with the team members at the observatory.
- Be available to occasionally work overnight hours.
- Reach or work above shoulders and use tools.
- Lift, carry, push and pull objects that weight up to 25 lbs.
- Occasionally work outside in hot weather conditions.
- Constantly perform computer-based tasks, or work in laboratory environment.
Apply at the link below, Applications received by July 7th, 2021 will receive full consideration, but the position will remain open until filled. The anticipated start date is as early as July 16th2021.
Apply to this position:
The SETI Institute provides competitive salary, excellent benefits including
health/dental/vision insurance, a flexible spending account for medical and dependent care, vacation,
and sick leave. The Institute sponsors a retirement plan option upon fulfillment of eligibility.
Diversity and Equity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
The SETI Institute is an Affirmative Action Employer and members of underrepresented communities and
demographics are particularly encouraged to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ and people
Note: The Institute will not sponsor applicants for work visas