Job Announcement: Minnesota Voice Executive Director
Minnesota Voice is a member-based coalition of leading non-profit organizations working toward permanent change in racial, social, and economic justice by increasing civic engagement and voter participation across the state. Minnesota Voice focuses on underrepresented communities; making sure that every Minnesotans’ voice is heard, and the state reflects the values of its people. Minnesota Voice is part of the State Voices Network. The organization’s seven full time staff members provide tools and programs that help nonprofit partners through capacity building for civic engagement, a paid fellowship program, administration of the state’s 501c3 Voter Activation Network (VAN) and other data management, and coalition building and coordination support around voting rights and other issues.
The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing and implementing the mission and vision of Minnesota Voice. Through effective collaboration with table partners, the Director is responsible for developing a coordinated, statewide plan, fundraising to support the plan, innovating and evaluating best practices, engaging new partners to participate, managing staff and contractors, and overseeing the provision of resources and technical assistance for table partner organizations. This position reports to the Minnesota Voice Board of Directors.
We’re looking for a candidate who can demonstrate the ability to lead and strengthen the organization’s internal capabilities from the board level to the frontline staff, and increase trust and service to funders and coalition partners.
Mission and Vision
- Responsible for implementing Minnesota Voice’s programs and aligning them with theorganization’s mission and vision
- Lead strategic planning to ensure that Minnesota Voice can successfully fulfill its mission
- Enhance our relationships and credibility in the communities we serve by building trustand serving as a public face of the coalition
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board of Directors as well as providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly in order to make informed decisions
- Develop coordinated statewide plan, and manage the execution for the programs conducted with partners, to increase civic participation in communities of color and other underrepresented communities.
- Provide strategic guidance for the development and coordination of integrated, nonpartisan electoral and issue campaign strategies
- Engage in planning, coordination, and networking at a state and national level
- Actively participate in the State Voices’ network, learning from and engaging with other state tables to bring new ideas to Minnesota and grow the profile of Minnesota Voice table nationally
- Expand the coalition by identifying and meeting with non-profits across the state that work with historically underrepresented people and communities
- Represent Minnesota Voice in local, state, and national coalitions
- Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors in effective board design and execution of a growing program.
- Assist in recruiting and onboarding new board members
Supervision & Management
- Manage the unionized staff and consultants required to implement the coordinated civic engagement plans and meet programmatic goals
- Foster a culture of partnership and collaboration, and manage a workplace that reflects the values of inclusion, democracy and anti-racist practices.
- Coordinate the development of trainings for table partners including non-partisan voter engagement tactics (voter registrations, voter education, voter mobilization, advocacy); data tools, tracking and management and voter contact actions
- Responsible for the hiring, training and retention of competent, qualified staff to meet the needs of the organization
- A strong commitment to and experience with building long-term, sustainable political power in historically underrepresented communities.
- Experience working in BIPOC communities and managing staff and partnerships to succeed using culturally-competent practices that build leadership and capacity.
- Demonstrated experience with voter contact programs, at least five years’ experience in labor, political, or community organizing campaigns, and an understanding of legislative and electoral processes.
- At least three years of experience managing staff and a demonstrated ability to create a structure and culture that supports organizational goals.
- Ability to anticipate communication needs and to work in crisis-mode as required
- Ability to lead and work effectively as part of a collaborative team and manage board members, stakeholders, and funders
- Based in, or willing to move to, Minnesota on the timeline of the organization returning to office-based work
Strongly Desired Qualifications:
- Prior experience guiding an executive board to develop effective leadership
- Demonstrated knowledge of 501c3 nonpartisan voter engagement and advocacy rules
- Demonstrated experience in coalition building and knowledge of the political landscape in Minnesota.
- Ability and/or experience working directly with donors or raising funds for program work
- Experience using VAN (Voter Activation Network). Familiarity with online digital organizing tools and constituent relationship management.
COMPENSATION: Salary range is $90,000 – $110,00 annually based on experience; we also offer a full benefits package.
TO APPLY: Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com . Position is open until filled. Please apply by March 31st.
Minnesota Voice is an equal opportunity employer. BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color), women, and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org