An international human rights organization
MADRE is an international women’s human rights organization that partners with community –
based women’s groups worldwide facing war and disaster. MADRE works towards a world in
which all people enjoy the fullest range of individual and collective human rights; resources are
shared equitably and sustainably; women participate effectively in all aspects of society; and
people have a meaningful say in decisions that affect their lives.
MADRE is seeking a dynamic, creative international human rights advocate, with advanced
policy and legal analytical capacity as well as leadership experience in campaigns for social
justice that have grassroots impacts. The International Justice Officer will help to develop and
implement creative strategies for achieving policy recommendations across a spectrum of
MADRE’s program areas, internationally, regionally and in the specific countries in which
MADRE works. Reporting to MADRE’s Associate Advocacy Director, the International Justice
Officer will help lead regional team s toward shared directions and priorities, while contributing
to overall organizational priorities and strategies .
The International Justice Officer will work globally but retain a specific focus on the
MENA region and Africa . Responsibilities include:
- In partnership with MADRE’s Advocacy team, develop and implement appropriate
human rights advocacy strategies that further MADRE’s grassroots women partners’
social justice agendas ; including ensuring justice for gender – based violence survivors;
advancing the rights of Afro – descendant , Indigenous women , women with disabilities and
their communities ; advancing migrant and refugee rights for women, girls and LGBTIQ
- Investigate and document alleged gender – based violations and abuses of international
human rights and criminal law committed by armed groups, government security forces,
and private actors;
- Draft reports , submissions and other legal advocacy documents for national, regional and
international human rights mechanisms;
- Draft press releases and other relevant communications materials to advance MADRE’s
and its partners ’ advocacy aims;
- Advocate before national, regional and international human rights bodies for policy aims,
providing legal research, writing, reporting, and guidance ;
- Provide timely advocacy responses to urgent partner human right situations
- Work with development and communications teams to ensure that an impact – driven and
integrated advocacy approach runs throughout all of MADRE’s work ;
- Support grant management and departmental budget management ; contribute to
fundraising efforts ;
- Represent MADRE to external partners and colleagues including, peer organizations,
policymakers, donors, media and other stakeholders ;
- Conduct human rights training s with partner organizations and allies ;
- Represent and speak on behalf of MADRE at panel events, presentations and key
stakeholder meetings; Other duties as assigned .
- Demonstrated commitment to women’s human rights and MADRE’s mission;
- Juris Doctorate or masters equivalent in law or international policy or related field ;
- Demonstrated professional competence and expert knowledge of UN human rights
mechanisms and/or international accountability mechanisms, and other pertinent
substantive areas of work;
- Proven ability to conduct complex human rights investigations, including expertise in
monitoring and documenting sexual and gender – based violence (SGBV) and
understanding of gender – specific protection concerns;
- Excellent communication and written skills ;
- Ability to thrive in a multicultural, multi – ethnic environment and to maintain effective
working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds ;
- Good analytical capacity; solid knowledge of witness and victim protection and data
- Ability to travel internationally ;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the area of gender justice, international justice or
criminal processes, and experience in investigation of SGBV human rights violations ;
- Excellent time management and organizational skills;
- Experience in a conflict – or disaster – affected setting is preferred; Fluency in English require d . Fluency in Arabic or French desired.
Salary range is $64,000- $96,000, commensurate with skills and experience. This position can be performed remotely and does not require relocation to New York.
Flexible start date . To apply, submit a cover letter, resume and 2-3 references to
email@example.com . Include “ International Justice Officer ” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
MADRE is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. People of color, people with
disabilities , LGBTIQ people, and women are all especially encouraged to apply. We take pride
in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org