IRWIN A AND ROBERT D GOODMAN COMMUNITY CENTER
Job Title: Program Kitchen Manager
Department: Program Food
Reports To: Director of Hospitality & Event Services
Position Type: Regular, Full-time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Pay: $44,000.00 – $48,000.00 per year
Benefits: Eligible (details below)
Last Modified: March 2023
Program Kitchen Manager
The Goodman Community Center (GCC) is here for our whole community. People from all walks of life and all ages come for programs and services that make their lives — and our community — stronger. We strengthen lives and secure futures within a community where everyone is valued and has the resources needed to be successful. Goodman Community Center provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
The primary mission of this role is to produce and provide healthy meals for our community and programs. This position also facilitates education of teens about employment training/experiences in the food industry. This role directly oversees the Program Food kitchen staff and assists the Director of Hospitality and Events Management to engage diverse communities, maximize partner satisfaction and compliance, as well as maintain positive interdepartmental communications.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain all menus, recipes, production schedules, and other required paperwork for CACFP, SFSP, Second Harvest, and the AR programs through the Department of Public Instruction.
- Remain current on all policy and programmatic changes. Review training materials annually and attend mandatory training for certification.
- Ensure USDA meal service delivery and food production meets all requirements and standards.
- Develop a rotating menu of recipes that follow recommended portion sizes, appeal to consumer tastes, meet nutritional needs, and follow established procedures within budgetary constraints.
- Ensure menus for the children and youth programs are planned, copied, posted and available for parents and program participants according to licensing regulations.
- Ensure that agreed upon work rules and protocols are followed consistently by all staff and teens.
- Work with the TEENWorks staff to set up and implement training systems and work standards for young people that reward a progression of competence and skill.
- Work with Food Resources Manager to maintain food cost to associated budget.
- Work with Food Resources Manager to purvey healthy ingredients from all the Center’s available resources including: Second Harvest, local farms, and food distributors.
- Create procedures, standards and conduct regular observations to monitor the quality of food preparation and service; food appearance; and cleanliness and sanitation of kitchen and service areas, equipment and employee appearance.
- Work with Food Resources Manager to develop, implement and maintain inventory for Program meals. Ensure proper food storage to minimize waste.
- Provide data to Food Resources Manager to assist in maintaining certification & compliancy with DPI, Older Adults, SFSP, CACFP, and any other organizations and entities with oversight on GCC program meals.
- Supervise program cooks, food drivers, dishwashers, and volunteers supporting program meals production. Delegate to others when appropriate.
- Maintain dry storage and refrigeration areas in a clean and organized fashion.
- Fill in and support the cooks as needed.
- Teach and mentor teens and support their ongoing success with prompt and constructive feedback.
- Adhere to and train others on safety, nutrition, food handling, and personal hygiene and sanitation requirements of the Center’s Program policies, licensing and USDA food program guidelines and requirements.
- Attend all required staff meetings and other meetings as required.
- Foster a team environment between TEENWorks, Catering, and program staff and always maintain professional, respectful communication.
- With the Director of Hospitality & Event Services, set performance goals and coach and mentor direct and indirect reports.
- Encourage direct and indirect reports’ professional development.
- Review and approve payroll related transactions for direct and indirect reports as necessary, including but not limited to timecard review and approval, time off request review and approval, etc.
- Perform to the standards of GCC’s leadership values and competencies.
- Seek out & present personal education and skill building opportunities to the Director of Hospitality & Events Services.
- Perform other job-related duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties of this position.
- Experience in food service management.
- Proficiency and experience in cooking a variety of foods for 1-300 guests.
- Experience with menu development and execution.
- Effective self-motivation and desire to train and lead both adult staff and students.
- Flexibility in adapting to evolving management needs
- Understanding of budget adherence and food production costs.
- Ability and desire to work with and train diverse teen population.
- Basic Microsoft Office skills: Outlook, Word, & Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Exceptional problem-solving, analytical, decision-making and interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated performance aligned with GCC’s leadership values and competencies.
- Commitment to GCC’s values and mission of strengthening lives and securing futures.
Special Position Requirements
- Calm and instructive demeanor.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, even temperament, ability to supervise effectively.
- Calm and instructive demeanor.
- Serve Safe Certified within 90 days of employment.
- A valid driver’s license and an insurable driving record.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to stand, reach and bend for entire work schedule.
- Ability to operate a computer and perform sedentary work as necessary.
- Experience working with staff, volunteers and families from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Knowledge of state and federal laws related to employing minors.
- Food Program Cooks
- Food Program Dishwasher
- Food Program Drivers
- Free Onsite Childcare for all employees upon hire, pending program availability (ages 3+)
- Free access to on-site Lussier Fitness Center with personal training
- Approximately 20 hours of Paid Time Off (PTO) Accrued annually (based on a 40-hr/week schedule)
- Annual Review with opportunity for typical 3% merit increase
- Employer-Paid Life Insurance
- Employer-Paid Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Savings with up to 4% Employer Match
- Health Insurance (GHC) including a $0 or a $500 deductible plan
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Discount on room rental
- Flexible Spending Account for medical and childcare expenses
To apply for this job please visit www.click2apply.net.