Website if, A Foundation for Radical Possibility
A Foundation for Radical Possibility
About if, A Foundation for Radical Possibility
if, A Foundation for Radical Possibility envisions Black people and people of the global majority living powerfully, abundantly, and beautifully in healthy, self-determined communities free of social, economic, and ideological violence. We achieve our vision by centering the leadership and expertise of Black people and people of the global majority in the Washington, DC region who live at the sharpest intersection of systems of oppression, in particular race, class and gender identity. We carry out our work by adhering to the following values:
- We believe that truth-telling is a part of healing and that acknowledging past and current racial atrocities is integral to justice.
- We build trusting authentic relationships with communities, partners, and colleagues where knowledge, power and resources are shared equitably.
- We are committed to innovation and risk-taking and embrace bold ideas that disrupt the status quo.
- We stand firmly with communities that have been most harmed by systems of oppression and support their ability to exercise power.
- We prioritize radical learning and share lessons to make way for progress and effective action.
- We acknowledge the inconsistencies and contradictions inherent in the philanthropic enterprise and aim to model the vision we believe is possible by ensuring that our own policies, practices, and operations are transformative and reflect the values we hold.
We are seeking a Director of Development who will work closely with the Co-CEOs – and collaborate with Programmatic and Communications colleagues – to design and implement if’s development strategies and systems. A major emphasis for the Director of Development will be supporting the Co-CEOs in their efforts to advance the foundation’s financial strategy, which includes:
- Rebuilding if’s endowment to help the foundation advance racial justice over the next 10 years.
- Building the financial capacity of grassroots partners by working with them to build their own endowments if they choose.
- Supporting if’s programmatic work across our five pillars – community power, healing justice, reparations and economic justice, institutions and structures and culture
Ideal candidates will demonstrate a commitment to the vision, mission, and values of the Foundation; and will have demonstrated expertise in building and managing a development department. This is a unique opportunity to build a development department within a private foundation.
The Director of Development will be responsible for conceptualizing, organizing, and implementing a comprehensive and strategic fundraising program in support of if’s vision, mission, and strategic priorities.
Fund Development Management
- Oversee the development and execution of best practices in development infrastructure, including programs, policies, and procedures to ensure effectiveness and accountability.
- Create an annual development plan, in partnership with the Co-CEOs.
- Develop and maintain development systems, including prospect research, moves management, and analyze and make recommendations for a CRM.
- Develop KPIs and analyze performance against them on a regular basis.
- Brief and support Co-CEOs to address revenue benchmarks and strategic goals.
- Work with Co-CEOs and Board to establish and monitor gift acceptance policies.
- Oversee major donor prospect research.
- Direct and implement fundraising program to raise endowment gifts and other support from major donors, supporting Co-CEOs in outreach, cultivation, and solicitation efforts.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and maintain a portfolio of individual donors and prospects.
- Work with the Co-CEOs to identify foundation funding opportunities for the endowment, programs, and grantmaking efforts.
- Oversee prospect research on foundation prospects.
- Prepare Co-CEOs for and attend funder meetings.
- Draft, edit, and ensure the timely submission of foundation proposals and reports.
- Collaborate with staff to ensure that funding guidelines are being properly met.
- Help plan and implement donor cultivation and fundraising events.
- Coordinate post-event follow-up.
- Work in collaboration with the Communications team to increase media, marketing, and online presence to expand the organization’s donor reach.
Board of Directors
- Attend and report at Board meetings.
- Lead Board presentations and trainings related to fundraising.
- Work in partnership with Development Committee Chair to set committee meeting agendas, and engage committee members.
- Support Board fundraising efforts.
Operations and Finance
- Actively participate in staff meetings, leadership team meetings, attend community events, and strengthen relationships in the community.
- Review monthly financials with the Finance Director.
- Provide recommendations and suggestions during budget planning and forecasting.
- Monitor and ensure timely payment of pledges
- 5+ years of direct fund development experience in the nonprofit sector with a focus on major gifts and foundation fundraising.
- Experience building and sustaining relationships with high-net worth individuals and foundations.
- Ability to conceptualize and describe funding needs, including the value of investing in a private foundation, in a way that is compelling to prospects, donors, Board members, and other stakeholders.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with Board members, staff, and other stakeholders
- Highly detail-oriented with proven ability to accomplish goals and meet deadlines.
- Commitment to working with diverse communities across race, class, ethnic, political and geographic boundaries.
- Commitment to if’s mission and values.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Position is a full-time, exempt position.
- Salary: $110,000 – $120,000
- Benefits include health, dental and vision insurance, paid time off, holiday pay,
retirement plan (including matching contributions), and disability and life insurance.
- Resume (including a cover letter) should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will
be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Please direct any questions regarding the position or application to email@example.com.
- if is an Equal Opportunity Employer and firmly supports the principle and philosophy
of equal opportunity for all individuals, regardless of age, race, gender, sexual
orientation, creed, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other protected
category pursuant to applicable federal, state, or local law
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org