Friends of Amani US
Friends of Amani US seeks an ambitious part-time Director of Development with successful fundraising experience to initiate a sustainable strategy to grow revenue.
Amani Center for Street Children (Also Known as Amani Children’s Home), Tanzania
From humble beginnings 20 years ago, Amani Center for Street Children has grown to become one of the largest NGOs dealing with street children in East Africa. Today Amani is nationally recognized for their life-changing work as 80 dedicated social workers, educators and caregivers support almost 1000 children in three Tanzanian locations. Amani’s overarching goal is to help children off the streets, into education, and back into their families and communities. Every effort is made to reunite the children with family members and their local communities, while sometimes providing modest financial support for school fees or family support. As part of the work towards family/community reintegration, Amani operates purpose-built facilities where children temporarily live, eat, attend school, and are enabled to thrive. In some cases, Amani also funds vocational training, and for the most-talented children, it will pay for college or university.
Friends of Amani US
Friends of Amani US (FOA-US) is one of several national Friends organizations throughout the world supporting Amani’s vital and compelling work with some of the world’s most marginalized children. A grassroots 501C(3) organization established in 2010, FOA-US currently raises $400K annually through support from small family foundations, annual donations, and monthly sponsorships from a core group of committed individuals, and an annual dinner organized by a cherished group of Friends in Sarasota, FL. But with Amani’s annual operating budget of $1m+ US and planned growth, the FOA-US Board finds it essential to take our support to a new level by hiring a Director of Development specifically engaged in growing our organization’s ability to support Amani’s goals.
Candidate Requirements for Success
The successful candidate will initially work closely with the FOA-US Board, reporting to the Chair, but will soon be expected to take the initiative and run with the position, growing the organization’s fundraising prospects with limited oversight, and capable of finding and developing opportunities independently.
· 3 to 5 years of successful fundraising experience with mid-sized non-profits, preferably with exposure to charities working internationally.
· A track record of taking initiative that has led to results.
· A vision for establishing a fund-raising strategy.
· Highly organized and self-motivated, with the ability to confidently work independently.
· Willingness to work remotely.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
· A people person with proven ability to steward effectively with modest to major donors.
· Inspired by Amani’s work and likewise able to wholeheartedly inspire others to support Amani’s goals.
· A passion for street children, the hope of education and international charity.
Roles and Responsibilities:
· Improve upon the effectiveness of existing fundraising programs.
· Identify, and solicit new donors and grant sources in the US.
· Explore ways to work with existing major donors to introduce their networks to Amani.
· Strategize ways to invite high potential donors to visit Amani.
· Encourage fundraising groups (for example Kilimanjaro climbs) whether virtual or real.
· Support the efforts of Amani’s US donor base to fundraise on Amani’s behalf.
· If merited, approach past supporters for renewed support.
· Investigate and implement new ways to raise funds in support of Amani’s work.
· Maintain and develop interest in Amani via virtual events.
· Share with FOA-US Chair and Board the success and shortfalls of fundraising activities.
· Collaborate with Amani’s Executive Director in Tanzania regarding effective fundraising strategies.
· Arrange opportunities for Amani’s Executive Director to maximize the impact of US trips.
· Track development results using Little Green Light donor management software.
The compensation for this part-time independent contractor role is competitive, with an annual contract rate and an incentive plan based on achievement of agreed upon goals for growth in specific areas.
- A full job description is available at www.amanikids.org/FOA-USDoD.
- To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV/Resume by email only to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- This position will remain open until filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com