ORGANIZATION: Food Forward (501c3 non-profit), www.foodforward.org
POSITION: Ventura County Farmers Market Recovery Program Coordinator
HOURS: Part-Time, 20 hours per week
Food Forward fights hunger and prevents food waste by rescuing fresh surplus produce, connecting this abundance with people in need and inspiring others to do the same. Our produce is recovered mostly in Los Angeles and Ventura Counties but reaches those in need in eight Southern California counties via distribution by hundreds of hunger relief agencies across virtually all social service sectors: homeless outreach, domestic violence shelters, street youth homes, veteran services, LGBT teen/adult/senior services, after-school programs, low-income college programs, and many more. With the volunteer-power of over 10,000 registered volunteers and a modest staff, we will help feed over 2 million Southern Californians in need this year alone. *See our core values posted below.
The Ventura County Farmers Market Recovery Program Coordinator will directly report to the Farmers Market Recovery Program Manager. This person will play an important role in supporting, maintaining and expanding the Farmers Market Recovery Program. This position is an intermediate-level position and provides an opportunity to become deeply involved in the food justice community, while working to grow the program’s presence in Ventura County. The Program Coordinator is the bridge between Food Forward’s wonderful volunteers, volunteer leaders, receiving agencies, and organizational needs. As such, the ideal candidate must possess excellent communication skills and the wherewithal to conduct delicate conversations with multiple stakeholders.
Farmers Market Recovery Program
- Coordinating, retaining, and training lead volunteers
- Maintaining accurate metrics, performing data collection and data entry
- Posting events, scheduling lead volunteers, and maintaining market kits
- Travelling to various markets throughout Ventura County to oversee the program and lead volunteers
- Communicating with large numbers of stakeholders including hunger relief agencies, market management, and partners over the phone, email, and in person
- AdHoc duties as assigned
- Mandatory availability on weekends and Mondays
- Extremely organized and efficient with excellent attention to detail
- Computer literate and proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Google G-Mail, and Google Sheets.
- Minimum 1 year experience in a fast-paced, hands-on job related to social justice, anti-hunger, environmental and/or food systems
- Excellent communication skills
- Good geographical knowledge of Ventura and Santa Barbara counties
- Maintain Valid Class C Driver’s license and clean driving record
- Ability to lift and carry boxes of produce weighing up to 60 lbs repeatedly from ground to vehicles and over unstable ground
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, climb stairs and ladders, bend, lift, twist, kneel, crouch, crawl, pull, push, carry, grasp, reach and stoop as needed
- Ability to work both indoors and outdoors
HOURS: Part-Time, 20 hours per week
Wage: $15-17 per hour
- Simple IRA with 3% employer matching (after one year of employment)
- 5 days of PTO for part-time staff with additional sick days
- Prorated cell phone allowance
- Telecommuting and work flexibility
Send a cover letter and resume in PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the body of the cover letter include 1) Where did you discover this listing, and 2) If you were a variety of produce what would you be and why?
The subject line should read, VC FMR Coordinator – (Your Name). No phone calls. Please follow these instructions to ensure that we process your application.
Food Forward is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ+ individuals, and those with protected class backgrounds to apply. We value the individuals that we hire and look forward to creating a positive work environment for all identities.
*Food Forward Core Values:
- Creativity – We seek to innovate in all facets of our work.
- Joyfulness – We cultivate a meaningful, fun, positive and spirited work environment.
- Committed to Food Justice – We believe that access to wholesome food, and fresh nutritious produce, is not a privilege, but a right. We work hard to end food inequality and reduce food insecurity.
- Authenticity – We are transparent and honest in our words, deeds and actions. We act at the highest level of integrity.
- Disciplined – We are reliable, professional, accountable, rigorous and committed to excellence in all areas of our work, both internally and externally.
To apply for this job please visit foodforward.org.