Website Buddhist Digital Resource Center
Connecting Buddhist Literature With the World
The Buddhist Digital Resource Center (BDRC), a secular and registered nonprofit founded by scholars, is the leading digital conservator of Buddhist manuscripts. It digitizes Buddhist writings in Asian languages and makes them freely available worldwide on the Web. The organization’s mission statement is “Connecting Buddhist literature with the world.” BDRC works extensively with the Tibetan community in China and the diaspora, and has established projects in Mongolia, Thailand, and Cambodia. Joining digital technology with scholarship, BDRC ensures that the cultural treasures of the Buddhist literary tradition are secure and accessible for generations to come.
BDRC seeks a Communications and Development Director whose main responsibilities will be to: 1) manage our communications and information-sharing strategies; and 2) plan and implement a fundraising program to provide for BDRC’s short- and long-term needs. This position works with colleagues to craft messages and communicate in ways that represent our values and work. The ideal candidate is someone who enjoys the challenge of developing strategies and systems, both independently and collaboratively with a team. This position reports to the Executive Director.
- Collaborate with Executive Director to develop and oversee an annual communications plan, including written, digital, visual, and oral strategies
- Communicate programmatic aims and objectives to participants, Board members, colleagues, and the public, including periodic reports on the state of programming
- Draft press releases, talking points, Op-ed pieces, special reports, story lines and position statements
- Proofread, edit and re-structure organizational materials for maximum coherence, accuracy, and consistency
- Maintain a catalog of stories, images, and resources to use in messaging
- Create outreach and education programs, workshops, and events for key stakeholders, as necessary
- Oversee social media platforms and networks, including editorial support, platform content, and supervision of staff who maintain them
- Supervise Communications staff
Development / Fundraising
- Collaborate with Executive Director to develop and oversee an annual fundraising plan, including written, digital, visual, and in-person strategies
- Maintain donor database, ensuring accurate data entry and integration with other databases
- Conduct donor stewardship programs including recruitment, retention of donors, and the creation of donor solicitation and relationship materials, as necessary
- Implement a major donor program
- Support direct mail, pledge, and other donor campaigns by drafting, reviewing, and/or revising materials
- Analyze returns on fundraising campaigns
- Support fundraising initiatives by sending timely donor acknowledgments
- Develop relationships with foundation staff to facilitate grant application process
- Draft grant proposals and maintain a grant tracking system, including award letters
- Oversee printing, copying, and mailing of all fundraising materials
- Commitment to BDRC’s mission, goals and values, including an understanding of Buddhist traditions and practices, and a desire to learn more about Buddhism
- Extensive knowledge of fundraising strategies and principles, including building relationships with foundations, individual and major donors, corporations, and other sources
- Exceptional writing, editing, research, proofreading and oral communication skills
- Experience with donor databases, including managing and tracking donor contributions and organizing gathered data
- Demonstrated understanding of, and ability to communicate about, complex or controversial issues, with accountability and deference to those most impacted by those issues
- Experience in the production of print and electronic publications, including knowledge of desktop publishing, social media, website authoring, video and narrative strategy
- Proficiency with Google Workspace applications and social media platforms
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to deliver quality products on tight deadlines
- Five years of experience in the field of communications and development (may be a combination of paid and unpaid)
- Desire to work as part of a team in a culturally diverse organization, including building relationships across lines based on race, class, gender, sexual orientation, age, and ability
Full Time Schedule
USD $60,000 – USD $70,000 / year
Generous benefit package including employer paid medical and dental insurance, group life and disability insurance, and paid time off and holidays.
Please send a resume and cover letter in PDF format to email@example.com.
No phone calls please. Position open until filled.
BDRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of Color, indigenous people, immigrants, LGBTQ and gender nonconforming individuals, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org