Website Bowdoin College
Housed in the Division of Student Affairs, CXD is responsible for all aspects of career development, from advising on career and graduate study to fostering employer and alumni connections that lead to internships and jobs. The strength of CXD lies in the supportive, individualized advising and programming it provides to students over four years of study; the real-world expertise of staff; deep and broad connections to alumni, parents and employers; and the post-graduate success of students who pursue traditional and non-traditional career paths as varied as arts, communications, consulting, finance, education, law, policy, marketing, medicine, science, engineering, advocacy, research, and technology, among others.
The Associate Director of Career Exploration and Development for Environment, Government and Policy Careers will advise students exploring and pursuing careers in the environmental, government, and policy fields. The position will build and maintain relationships with alumni and parents available for networking with students, and who often assist in the creation of job and internship opportunities. The Associate Director will also support the work of Employer Relations to build and maintain relationships with recruiters in these industries. The position will also liaise with faculty to collaborate on joint programming and support, as needed, general career educational programming and advising. This position reports to the Director of Career Advising.
- Industry advising expert. Provide individual student advising support (both in person and via Zoom and email) and develop career programs and services to aid students in exploring and pursuing internships and full-time employment in the environment, government, and policy fields.
- Graduate program advising. Provide support for students and alumni exploring and pursuing environment- and government- and policy-related graduate programs.
- Industry liaison responsibilities. Build and maintain relationships with alumni, parents, and other College supporters who work in these fields as well as with employers to grow student access to connections for networking, internships, and job opportunities. Develop and update content for weekly career sector newsletters and related CXD content areas to connect students with up-to-date resources and guidance apart from advising appointments.
- Industry programming responsibilities. Oversee student outreach and education programs for these fields including skill-building workshops and alumni and parent speakers. Serve as advisor to, and collaborator with, student pre-professional clubs. Collaborate closely with faculty in related subject areas.
- Multicultural competence. Work effectively with students, faculty, staff, employers, and alumni representing a variety of backgrounds; review the annual mix of programs and presentations with an eye for equitable access to opportunity (mix of programming, accessibility, and appeal to all potentially interested students).
- General responsibilities.
- Provide general career guidance to students, as member of wider CXD team, to encourage early engagement, review application materials and processes and train on use of Bowdoin career resources. Collaborate with CXD team, faculty, and other staff to produce and deliver career development programming for general student body and communities of affiliation.
- Regular and punctual attendance.
- Work effectively with others and perform to the best of personal abilities to successfully accomplish individual, departmental, and College goals.
- Adherence to and enforcement of College policies, as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
To apply for this job please visit careers.bowdoin.edu.