Website Be a Hero/Be a Hero Action Fund
About Be a Hero/Be A Hero Action Fund
Be A Hero PAC is a national progressive organization that works tirelessly to advocate for a more fair and just healthcare system in the United States. Founded by ALS activist Ady Barkan and Liz Jaff in 2018, Be A Hero has grown rapidly and helped shape the dialogue for healthcare advocacy and accountability in America.
With a remote team across the country, we support and advance the state-based and national fight for Medicare for All, opposition to Big Pharma, progressive COVID policy, and a host of other progressive issues. We operate through a model of empowering local progressive infrastructure through meaningful, long-term partnerships to take collective action to change national policy and politics.
The role of speechwriter at Be A Hero is to work with Principal Ady Barkan, on his interviews, op-eds, and testimonies. The position is not full-time but ranges between 5 hours -15 hours a week dependent on the projects at hand. We are looking for someone with a passion for progressive politics and an understanding of policy, preferable in healthcare and economics, experience writing about racial and economic justice, and an ability to work closely and interactively with many team members.
This role is one of the most important in our organization. Ady’s voice is what leads the movement, and you would be that support base — reporting directly to Ady and Liz, and working with other senior staff. –
Ady has lost his ability to speak, but not his voice. Along with his eye gaze technology, he is able to write and edit, and communicate with the public and some of the top political leaders in the country. Your role would be helping him build up these active engagements, work from his past interviews and writing and work closely with him to enable him to have long-form discussions and conversations with Senators, in the media, with political leaders and launch his video series.
- Work on interview questions and live conversation mapping with Ady and the policy team for Senatorial interviews
- Draft op-eds and work with press team for media opportunities
- Work with Ady to draft speeches and media materials
- Work on healthcare series for podcast and media series of long-form interviews and answers
- Work off of detailed FAQ and Ady’s former press answers and book Eyes to the Wind
- 3 or more years of writing experience in long form writing and or speech writing
- A background in journalism and or political studies with a portfolio of written work
- Experience writing about race, class, and social justice
- Ideally have written for other principals either in ghost writing of speech writing
This is a contract position paid $100 hourly, with an expected max of 15 hours per week. We are open to discussing an ongoing retainer for the right candidate. Send resume and writing sample to: email@example.com
Be A Hero is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities and LGBTQI people are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org