Website ACLU of Arizona
The ACLU of Arizona—a leader in the fight against mass incarceration, voter suppression, discrimination in public education, and threats to LGBTQ equality and immigrants’ rights—is seeking a full-time Development Associate to help strengthen our organization’s fund development program. This is a fantastic opportunity for a professional who is passionate about social justice to join Arizona’s premier defender of civil liberties. We are a highly motivated group of attorneys, public policy and legislative advocates, communications experts, community organizers, and fundraisers, and we’re looking for exceptional talent to join our team.
The Development Associate is a key member of the Development Department, working closely with the Director of Philanthropy (DOP), Major Gifts Officer (MGO), and Executive Director (ED), supporting the team in research, solicitation, scheduling and strategy. The Development Associate will primarily be responsible for all data entry, acknowledging donors, managing the Salesforce database, maintaining regular reporting, and coordinating with the Finance Department. This position will also be responsible for soliciting and stewarding donors in the Mid-Major Gifts Program ($1,000 – $9,999).
Description of primary responsibilities
Database Administration (40%)
· Maintain accuracy and integrity of the Salesforce database information.
· Process all incoming donations into the Salesforce database.
· Work with the Director of Finance to process weekly deposits.
· Compile monthly reports and reconcile these with Director of Finance.
· Support the annual reconciliation process, overseen by the Director of Finance and ACLU National.
· Maintain reporting schedules and pulling reports as necessary; Maintain development dashboards, incorporating regular updates.
· Ensure Development Department procedures and practices are well documented.
· Troubleshoot database issues.
Managing Acknowledgement Process (20%)
· Ensure weekly gift acknowledgement for all incoming donations.
· Call and thank all donors $1,000 and up who are not in a major gifts portfolio.
Administrative Support (20%)
· Support the ED, DOP, and MGO by preparing and sending materials for solicitors and donors.
· Works with ED, DOP, and MGO to capture meaningful contacts with donors in Salesforce.
· Assists in scheduling meetings with prospective funders and donors.
· Aid in grants research and reporting for grant funders.
· Draft correspondence and reports as requested.
· Respond to inquiries from donors and funders.
· Research and qualify new donors.
Portfolio Management (15%)
· Solicit and steward donors in the Impact Society ($1,000 – $9,999).
· Execute the annual Impact Society Communication Plan.
· Provide superior customer service to donors and members.
· Occasionally attend donor meetings and events as needed.
Event Logistics (5%)
· Coordinate occasional fundraising and cultivation events.
· Manage invitations, RSVP’s, food, technology, and other logistics for events.
Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging (Included in all aspects of the position)
· Identify and create opportunities for development processes and approaches that can advance our commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging.
· Communicate our organizational commitment to equity, belonging, and inclusion with donors, supporters, board, and staff members.
· Be an active, engaged member of the Development team that thinks creatively, ambitiously and openly about how our development program and organization can better integrate equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging into our day-to-day operations as well as our goals and plans.
· 2 years of office coordination/administrative support experience in a professional environment, with preference for experience working in development at a non-profit organization.
· Must have experience working with databases; donor databases (CRM) or Salesforce experience preferred.
· Excellent computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office technology (including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
· Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
· Strong interpersonal skills and enthusiasm for building strong professional relationships with donors, board members, volunteers, staff, and the general public.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to speak comfortably and compellingly with donors about the potential impact of their philanthropic investments in the ACLU.
· Demonstrated understanding, knowledge of, and commitment to civil liberties, civil rights, racial justice, and the ACLU of Arizona’s mission.
· Must share our commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging as organizational values and culture, as well as outcomes that our programs work to achieve.
· Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance, and record of arrest or conviction.
· Demonstrate a commitment to working collaboratively and respectfully toward overcoming obstacles and/or resolving conflicts when they arise.
Compensation and Benefits
The ACLU-AZ offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience, and competitive with public interest salaries. Benefits include three weeks paid vacation; 100%-employer paid medical and dental insurance, life and long-term disability insurance; 401(k); and 16 paid holidays. This position is full-time, salaried, and exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act. The approximate salary range is $38,000 to $58,000, and within pay scale parameters of the nationwide ACLU and the Arizona nonprofit sector and considering skills and experience. Please note that the majority of ACLU of AZ staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references including their email, phone and relationship to you. Send electronic materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Associate” in the email subject line. Please also indicate in your cover letter where you heard of this career opportunity. No phone calls or walk-ins, please.
The ACLU undertakes inclusive strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact email@example.com.
The deadline to apply is Friday, January 14th, 2022. At that time the announcement will be removed from our website.
About the ACLU
With ACLU affiliate offices in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico, the ACLU fights tirelessly in the courts, legislatures, and through community engagement to ensure that all individuals’ rights are protected. We are a passionate, highly motivated group of lawyers, public policy experts, lobbyists, community organizers, and fundraisers, and we’re looking for exceptional talent to join our team.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU of Arizona comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union of Arizona and the ACLU Foundation of Arizona. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation of Arizona are statewide organizations with the same overall mission; they share office space and employees. The ACLU of Arizona has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU-AZ.”
To learn more about the work of the ACLU, please visit www.acluaz.org and www.aclu.org.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org