Location: New York, NY
Start Date: November 1, 2022
Salary Range: $100,000-$107,000
Reports To: Executive Director, New York Region
Despite decades of work and millions of dollars invested, the degree divide continues to be one of our nation’s most complex and critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas. COVID-19 further exposed and exacerbated inequity, with communities of color and those in low-income areas impacted at disproportionately high rates. We are looking for individuals to join us in our fight for equity during this critical time.
As Senior Director of External Affairs, you will be responsible for setting vision, direction, and strategy for the New York Development Team in order to ensure financial sustainability for the region. You’re chiefly responsible for engaging the internal-facing development team and external- facing constituents (board and donor base) to meet and exceed our annual KPIs while maintaining a strong internal culture that fosters a high level of engagement that produces highly effective teams.
30% – Setting Strategic Vision and Direction
Building goals, strategies, and campaigns across foundation, corporate, individual and public funding streams
Overseeing external communications, including regional marketing efforts
Supporting the Executive Director to influence and motivate new and existing external constituents to invest in our work
30% – Managing and Growing New York’s portfolio of donors
- Designing equitable and innovative strategies to influence and motivate new and existing external constituents to invest in our work, at $2.3M in this fiscal year and growing steadily over the next few years
- Managing a portfolio of donors by reviewing and analyzing progress to goal, making strategic decisions to inform actions and campaigns, and executing on cultivation plans to drive towards revenue growth
- Build a pipeline of prospective investors by managing team effectively in the sourcing, prospecting and engagement of potential donors to build pipeline for FY24 and beyond
- Establishing systems and collaboration/learning structures to ensure we have a robust mechanism to track progress with donors, learn from one another, and maintain records with accessible, accurate and comprehensive information
- Relating to external stakeholders and telling our organizational story and impact in a compelling manner
- Serve as primary point person for all board committees and partner with Executive Director to see vision and content for meetings
20% – Coaching and Managing an Effective Team
- Effectively managing your team of development directors to make strategic decisions, track progress-to-goal (PTG), design aligned artifacts and materials, build successful external events, and effectively communicate our narrative in external/internal spaces
- Coach and develop team members to leverage strengths and grow in opportunity areas in order to deepen efficacy of the work and engage in regular career development conversations to ensure progress in direct reports’ professional aspirations
20% – Serving as a Member of the Regional Leadership Team
Effectively builds strong relationships with New York team members and models for all staff what it means to be a culture leader, embody our core values, and remain committed to our DEI and Liberatory Consciousness work
Serving with Executive Director and other regional Managing Directors as member of the New York Leadership Team to inform regional vision, priorities, and expectations for future fiscal years
The Skills You’ll Need
Success in the Senior Director of External Affairs role will require a deep commitment to OneGoal’s mission, core values and commitments to DE&I. You believe – and your work has demonstrated your belief – that all students can earn a degree and the life that comes with it. Additionally, you may be aligned with this role if you see yourself in the following examples:
- You are a strategist, information synthesizer, and planner.
- You are a leader, collaborator, and a strong coach for your team.
- You are a compelling and inspiring communicator and it is rooted in your beliefs.
- You believe in people and the promise of humanity and are committed to equity and inclusion
The ideal candidate will also bring the following skills, attributes and experiences:
- 5+ years of experience in nonprofit development and fundraising
- Demonstrated experience managing fundraising targets of $2M and above (Highly Preferred)
- Understanding of the New York philanthropic and education landscape (Preferred)
- Experience leading a small team, supporting their continued learning and development
- Knowledge of marketing and communication strategies to support fundraising efforts
- Excellent communication skills with experience winning people over
- Bachelor’s Degree (Required)
- Willingness to travel to external stakeholders across New York (as safety permits)
In this role you will report to the Executive Director. The Director of External Affairs will frequently collaborate with the Regional Leadership Team, the National Development Team, the Director Grants & Data, and Director, Individual & Corporate Giving. In addition, you will occasionally team up with the Marketing and HR team.
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 150 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package* which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, retirement matching, paid parental leave, and more. We also offer a generous paid time off policy, including 20 paid vacation days, holidays and 9 wellness days (flexible sick time).
The Next Steps
This search is being led by Imagine Consulting, a talent and recruitment firm specializing in supporting nonprofit organizations in securing an equitable and antiracist future for our world. Interested candidates should click below to apply. If you have questions or need support completing the application, please reach out to our team at email@example.com.
Historically, people of color, women, transgender, GNCNB, and disabled individuals face insurmountable oppression when engaging with employers and recruiters. At Imagine, we understand that talent is not bound to a single story and that our intersectional identities are value adds in every space we enter. OneGoal and Imagine are committed to building and supporting a diverse staff, and investing in fostering leadership from marginalized communities.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org